for Canal Boating Holidays
Home |  Links |  Sitemap |  Contact Us |  Privacy Policy |  Questions |  Canal Photographs
Narrowboat Holiday Hire |  Cruiser Holiday Hire |  Day Boat Hire |  Charter Boats |  Hotel Boats |  Trip Boats
Restaurant Boats |  UK Canal Network |  European Canal Boating Holidays |  World Canal & River Cruises
First holiday afloat? |  Booking Your Holiday                         Advertising With Us

A sister website to - The Online Canal Magazine


Canal Boating Holidays - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Narrowboat Holiday Hire - Canal Barge Holidays
Norfolk Broads Cruiser Boat Hire

Frequently Asked Questions:

Can I take my pet on the boat?

Can I take pets on my narrowboat holiday? - We recommend that you obtain and use a flotation jacket for your dogCan I take pets on my narrowboat holiday? - Well behaved domestic pets are welcome by many boat hire companies but check with your chosen operator to confirm that they accept pets on their boat.

Please let the hire company know your pet's details prior to booking. A small charge and conditions may be applicable.

Hotel boats generally do not accept pets.

We recommend that you obtain and use a flotation jacket for your dog, at least until it is used to getting on and off the boat and being around locks!

Where can we stop overnight?

Where can we moor up overnight? Overnight mooring on the UK canals. You can stop overnight virtually anywhere along the towpath side of the canal without charge. You must however avoid mooring up for any length of time within 50 metres of a lock, other obstacle or designated place to allow other boats to pass by. On most other waterways, there will be clearly marked places where you can moor overnight or for an extended period during the day. On some rivers there may be a small mooring charge in places. Do not run your engine when moored up between 20.00 and 08.00 whithin the hearing of dwelling houses or other moored boats.

What Does A Canal Lock Do?

See Our Rough Guide to Lock Operation

Generally locks are not difficult to operate, but they do require a degree of physical fitness and manual dexterity and effort. You will soon become proficient in locking with a little practice.

Do I Need A Fishing Licence?

Fishing on a boating holiday - A National Rod Licence is a statutory requirement for anglers 12 years or over, who wishes to go fishing in England and Wales. This can be purchased from any post office. In Scotland and Ireland there is no licensing system. You may need a fishing permit (sometimes referred to as a day ticket) which allows you to fish a particular stretch of water or waters and is issued by fishery owners, clubs, etc. The England and Wales coarse fishing closed season is from 15 March to 15 June and applies to all rivers and streams in England & Wales, including the Norfolk Broads, but does not apply to most still waters and canals except a few feeder canals like the Kennet & Avon canal. For more information you should check with the hire boat company or the regional Fisheries Officer on 0845 9333 111.

What's included in the hire price?


How far can we travel?


Do I need any kind of driving licence?


How do I find a suitable boating holiday?


What happens when I reserve a boat?


What types of canal boat holidays are there?


What's a canal boating holiday like?


Do I need any experience?


What should we take with us?



Back To The Top

Boating Holidays Maps

Buy Collins / Nicholson Canal and River Guide Books

Canal & Rivers Boating UK

Norfolk Broads
Canals and Rivers
Scotland Lochs
Forth & Clyde and Union Canals

Canal & Rivers Boating
Europe - France

Alsace - Lorraine
Burgundy - Nivernais Loire
Burgundy - Franche Comte Vosages
South of France

Canal & Rivers Boating Europe - Other



Listing of a particular business or attraction is by no means to be taken as a recommendation unless particularly highlighted as such.

Owned & Designed By:   © Copyright 2010 to 2012. All rights reserved